Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Lions, Tigers, and Bears....Oh My!!!



Ethan and Will playing in the rocks at Herman Park.

Mommy and Daddy enjoying the family picnic.


Ethan and Will riding in the wagon at the zoo.


The Giraffes

So I did it! We took the boys to the ZOO on Saturday. Many of you might not even know this about me. My mom, sister, and David know this about me, but probably not many others---I CAN NOT STAND THE ZOO!! It smells awful, the animals look so miserable behind the bars in what is supposed to be a luxury home for them, you have to walk and walk and walk, it is hot (least the zoo's around my neck of the woods), and the animals are always sleeping or just sitting there--- what is FUN about that!

It is pretty sad that my 3 year old has never been to the zoo, but that is no longer the case. I pumped myself up with great thoughts of spending the morning walking around looking at animals playing, running, etc.... Well, I saw some of that. Mainly they were just sleeping. Ethan and Will had a blast-- which is what matters most, right? Ethan loved the giraffes, elephants, and monkeys. I might add they were the only big attraction animals that were doing something when we saw them-- they were eating! They others- bears, tigers, lions--- were sleeping and scratching themselves-- really!!! Will loved watching the animals and pointing to each of them. He had the best ride the whole day-- he got to sit in a wagon and have someone pull him around and right up to the animal's cage. I have to admit the orangutan was pretty cute (well if really ugly can be cute)! His name was Rudy. He sat with his face right up to the glass and there were several little kids putting their faces right up to the glass. It was very cute to see. I would have taken a picture of my child doing the same, but many kids were just camera hogs and were there FOREVER. And I might add that their parents stood there and allowed them to sit there forever while other children were waiting their turn. So no picture for Ethan, but he did LOVE the Big Monkey!

After the zoo, we went to Herman Park and had a picnic lunch together. They boys loved playing in the rocks, and David and I just loved sitting there watching them play. The weather was great and it was such a peaceful afternoon. We rode a fun train around the park after lunch. They boys even got their own train whistle. We have since lost Ethan's, but Will has done a great job of sharing is slobbery one with his big brother.

I enjoyed the day with all my boys! It was fun being together and watching them experience new adventures. I just pray my next visit to the zoo is not any time soon or maybe I will just send David with the boys-- that's a GREAT thought!


2 comments:

Amanda Brooke Kilgore said...

Listen, you are not alone in your zoo emotions. Although I do enjoy the zoo, it always seems to rain when we are there, and I really hate fighting the crowds. I'm so proud of you for sucking it up and going anyways. Now, HOW am I going to suck it up and do all this sports stuff that will soon be in my future?????

Lauren said...

You finally did it! Yea! As you know, Ben and I are zoo members (we go all the time), so we'd be happy to take your boys one day for you so you and David can have a parents' day out!